Wednesday

A few of our favorite things

Being vegetarians, bread in some form or fashion is a staple around here. A common dinner around here is fruit, veggies, cheese/yogurt, and some type of bread. It's easy, and everyone eats it. I make a lot of muffins. Our freezer is usually stocked with banana muffins, pumpkin muffins, applesauce muffins, zucchini muffins, cucumber muffins (in the summer at least), orange juice muffins, etc....The kids eat them for breakfast or snack or both. I drastically reduce the sugar content on most of them and use maple syrup and honey when I can get the recipe to work right, and always add extra eggs. Lately though we've been on a biscuit kick. So here are a few of our current favorites:

Plain Baking Powder Biscuits:

2 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 T sugar
1/3 c butter- cold
1 c milk

In a food processor mix the dry ingredients. Add butter and pulse until it resembles crumbs. Gradually add milk while pulsing until dough forms. Pat out to about 1/2 in and cut out with a biscuit cutter (or cup). Bake for 15 min at 425.

Rylan loves these for breakfast...if there is ever enough leftovers. If you make it ahead of time, roll it up in foil and let it rest in the refrigerator for a few hours they will bake up even taller.


Maple Corn Biscuits

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
6 T butter
1/2 cup milk
1/4 c maple syrup

In a food processor mix the dry ingredients. Pulse in butter until it resembles crumbs. Combine milk and syrup, add to dry ingredients and pulse until just combined. Drop spoonfulls on a baking sheet and bake at 425 for 15 minutes.

This one is really good, and a nice change from our corn muffins.


And tonight we tried something new....and I think it is my new favorite.

Sweet Potato Biscuits:

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
4 T sugar
4 T butter
1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
3/4-1 cup milk

Again, mix dry ingredients in a food processor. Pulse in butter. Add sweet potato and mix. Gradually add in milk. (The recipe called for 3/4-1 cup...I don't think I even used 1/2 and it was pretty wet and needed additional flour for stickiness) Roll and cut as desired. Bake for 10 min (mine needed a little longer) at 450.

Really, really yummy and makes me want to try growing sweeet potatoes this year :)

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these recipes perhaps in the near future I can turn my husband and oldest son more towards the vegetarian way. I used to be for more than 4 years until I met my husband. So perhaps that will come again or atleast part of the family. I really want to try these recipes can you share some of your muffin recipes such as the applesauce, pumpkin etc. (with less sugar and honey) one of my children I try to keep him on sugar free or natural sugar as much as possible.

    Thanks again so much,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I know what I'm doing with my canned sweet potatoes this weekend. Those sound DELISH!

    Do you own any of the Moosewood cookbooks? They are all vegetarian and wonderful for yummy things. While we aren't vegetarians, we all enjoy meat free meals pretty consistently and there are a few cookbooks that have become staples for us for good veggie-friendly meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sounds amazing Sadie! I will have to try some muffins soon too... my kids just love them.

    Val

    PS how is your candy easter prep going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK.
    Sweet Potato Biscuits? Amazing, we've made them twice and the kids keep begging for them. Awesome!

    Even better, my diabetic step-mom can enjoy them without making her blood sugar shoot sky high. We cut the sugar entirely, used the canned, vacuum-packed sweet potatoes (about a cup and a half's worth) and didn't have to use a spot of milk. That's 5 ingredients, all of which I can pronounce and know what they are.

    Sheer genius, my pal, sheer genius. We're taking them to Easter dinner. You are officially my hero. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know aren't they wonderful!? We love them around here too...

    ReplyDelete